It’s official: summer is over. Although the days of frolicking in the sun, swimming in the pool, and lounging on the beach are in the past, fall and winter have their fair share of positive attributes. For one thing, your hair will thank you for ending the onslaught of sun, saltwater, and chlorine, even if you are sad that you can no longer achieve those perfect beach waves.
Now that the weather has cooled off, hair needs special treatment to really help it heal from the damage summer causes. As fall turns into winter, it is necessary to take steps to repair your hair and keep it healthy, shining, and beautiful. Check out these four ways to revitalize your hair and keep it looking gorgeous!
Get a Trim
First things first, trim your hair. Nothing makes hair look dead, dry, and messy like split ends, and there is only so much a mask or oil treatment can do. Cutting off that fraction of an inch makes a huge difference in how your hair looks and feels. Long hair looks longer and thicker when the ends are all uniform, so even if you lose a little bit of length your hair won’t show it.
Go Au Naturale
There are hundreds of recipes online for all natural hair masks and treatments. Many of them are made with things around the house—like mayonnaise, eggs, and even beer—so these hair treatments are often cheap.
Get your girlfriends together, pop in a movie, and have fun mixing hair masks to moisturize, volumize, or add shine. Here are some ideas:
- Avocado and egg: mash together an entire avocado and one egg; apply to damp hair; let sit for at least twenty minutes; shampoo and condition as normal.
- Mayonnaise: apply mayonnaise to freshly washed hair, just as you would conditioner; wrap hair in a shower cap (plastic wrap works in a pinch); let sit for fifteen minutes; wash with shampoo.
- Oil: moisten hair and apply oil—olive, avocado, coconut, and jojoba are all good picks—until hair is thoroughly coated; put on a shower cap or plastic; cleanse thoroughly with shampoo.
Visit a Salon for a Gloss Treatment
When it comes to repairing damage, a professional at a salon is your hair’s best bet. A trained cosmetologist knows the best products and treatments, and he or she can help you decide what your hair needs most. This kind of personal attention is the biggest reason to visit a salon.
A gloss is a hair treatment that seals the hair cuticle to create a smooth surface. The smooth surface is what makes the hair so shiny, as light bounces right off of it. A gloss is a fast beauty treatment so it is relatively inexpensive and it fits well into any schedule. In addition, a gloss is a deep conditioning treatment on steroids, as it creates an overlay over each strand, lasting for up to four weeks.
Maintain Your Shiny ‘Do
Once you have repaired the damage that sun and chlorine caused your locks, it is important to take steps to maintain the healthy shine that you worked so hard for. There are a number of ways to prevent damage to your mane, here are just a few:
- Shun heat as much as possible—Staying away from styling your hair with heat is critical to maintaining healthy hair. This includes your blow dryer, flat iron, and curling iron.
- Use a heat protectant—When you must use heat on your hair, use a heat protectant spray to shield your hair from damage.
- Avoid washing hair every day—If you can go two or even three days in between washes you are saving your hair a lot of damage.
- Apply deep conditioner regularly—Most salons sell deep conditioners that can help keep your hair pristine between trims.
- Invest in quality products—The ingredients in shampoo and conditioner can make a huge difference in the shine, bounce, and health of your hair. Using professional quality products can prevent buildup and keep hair looking good.
- Get frequent trims—Like we mentioned above, a trim is the only way to really get rid of damaged hair. Trimming your locks on a regular basis keeps them healthy and beautiful.
Achieving the glossy mane that you see in magazines is easier than you think. Switch to a new product, get a quick trim, or visit the salon for a deep conditioning treatment to make your hair look gorgeous and healthy.